Friday, January 6, 2012

Thrifting we go...

 

I liken op shopping to a magical quest, where my coin purse is my weapon of choice and a wardrobe of delightful vintage pieces is my single objective. The obstacles on my journey include mothballs, pilly polar fleece vests and woollen jumpers with any kind of reference to Australian flora and fauna (I shudder every time I sift through a rack to find a wattle tree pom pom knit). But finding something sweet, a true diamond amongst the rough, is just so addictive that I can't stop. On this particular trip I was shopping for maxi dresses and skirts, and I left literally struggling to carry all my new things in my arms (Bryan was laughing at me). Savers is the happiest place on earth. 

Here are some of my tips for op shopping happy times
  • Set a limit for what you'll spend before you start shopping. Remember, you are buying clothing that has been worn and washed countless times. Don't try and justify paying $70 for a dress because it's vintage....at the end of the day it's still someone else's old stuff, right?
  • Don't be put off by sizes. That ankle length, size 16 floral dress? Cutting the hem can turn it into a cute, baggy mini dress. The same goes for jeans and blazers- you can always try the deliberately oversized, boyfriend look. Plus it makes you look skinnier. Just saying. 
  • Have a look for the colours and patterns that are featuring in the display windows of your favourite high street stores. For example, if you're seeing deep red wine tones and glitter embellishments on your favourite pieces in retail stores, keep that in the back of your mind when you're op shopping. Chances are you'll find something second hand- fashion is cyclic after all!
  • Do not buy anything with stains, holes, weird looking applique or other things that you think you'll get around to fixing. You won't. Shortening dresses is easy- especially when you've got the highly skilled Asian community at your fingertips like me- but as far as sewing up holes, changing buttons and fixing zips? Not going to happen. 
  • You can never have enough floral dresses. My current count is 31. They're basically my uniform- keep a couple of pairs of shoes in your car and you'll almost always be appropriately dressed for anything. 
  • The same goes for crewneck woollen jumpers, black combat boots, polyester shift dresses, leather handbags and belts. These are all gems- the proof is that Sportsgirl makes inspired versions of all these items. Stock up. 
So why was I shopping for maxi dresses and skirts anyway? I'm living in Indonesia for the next seven weeks! I am officially an exchange student and journalism intern. This country definitely requires a more conservative dress code than back home in Australia, so I took it as an excuse for another shopping spree. No dorky touristy attire here! Well, that is, until I get to Bali. Call me low brow but I can't resist a good Bintang singlet. 


I've missed you, blogosphere! Til next time....and honestly who knows when that'll be,

x x x x

7 comments:

  1. i dont know how to survive without thrifting! this is useful and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pieces!


    I love your blog! Please check mine out and if you like it, please follow! I promise to return the favour!


    Thanks!


    http://foreverfredastaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estelle!

    Thank you so much for your latest comments! What's this? You're heading to Bali?? I'm so jealous but good on you! I would love to visit Bali one day... and also wear a Bintang singlet whilst I'm there for all-time's sake haha

    Great post on op-shopping! I agree with everything you have said! This Savers shop looks amazing. I bet thrifting in Melbourne is tonnes better than it is here in Sydney. I will have to find out one day... ;) hope you have a wonderful time and share a post with us of your time there in Indonesia.

    x Lauren
    youronlyblackswan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thrifting tips! Love your skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tips, I agree with them all!
    savers in dandy is the best. I always look at the buttons on items...it's a weird obsession but vintage buttons are awesome :P
    have fun on your trip x

    http://littleblackbeau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips- and those yellow shoes are so cute! Reminds me a bit of miu miu.

    Hope you're having a great time as an exchange student! That's so exciting to go abroad, especially to live somewhere else for a bit. I never did that but it sounds amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and images. excellent article and very good points.
    playsuit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog! It makes me very happy :) Leave a comment/ follow me and I will do the same...I love visiting your blogs! x x x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...